|“||Last night I saw a superhero, he was black. He said, "This is for the street, Black Lightning's back!"||”|
The series is developed by Salim Akil, who served as the showrunner for the entire series. The first and second season premiered on January 16 and October 9, 2018, respectively. The third season premiered on October 7, 2019, and was added to the Arrowverse during the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover event. On February 8, 2021, the fourth and final season premiered, and the series concluded on May 24, 2021.
Black Lightning was originally considered not to be a part of the Arrowverse despite its connection to Greg Berlanti. However, showrunner Salim Akil did not rule out the possibility of potential crossovers and the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover event marked the series connection to the shared universe. Following the event, Black Lightning became an Arrowverse series and was set on Earth-Prime with elements from their original universe incorporated to the relocated one.
Jefferson Pierce is a man wrestling with a secret. As the father of two daughters and principal of a charter high school that also serves as a safe haven for young people in a neighborhood overrun by gang violence, he is a hero to his community. Nine years ago, Pierce was a hero of a different sort. Gifted with the superhuman power to harness and control electricity, he used those powers to keep his hometown streets safe as the masked vigilante Black Lightning. However, after too many nights with his life on the line, and seeing the effects of the damage and loss that his alter ego was inflicting on his family, he left his Super Hero days behind and settled into being a principal and a dad. Choosing to help his city without using his superpowers, he watched his daughters Anissa and Jennifer grow into strong young women, even though his marriage to their mother, Lynn, suffered.
Almost a decade later, Pierce's crime-fighting days are long behind him...or so he thought. But with crime and corruption spreading like wildfire, and those he cares about in the crosshairs of the menacing local gang The One Hundred, Black Lightning returns — to save not only his family, but also the soul of his community
Main Cast[edit source]
- Cress Williams as Black Lightning (Jefferson Pierce) (season 1-3)
- China Anne McClain as Lightning (Jennifer Pierce) (season 1-3)
- Nafessa Williams as Thunder/Blackbird (Anissa Pierce) (season 1-3)
- Christine Adams as Lynn Stewart (season 1-3)
- Marvin Jones III as Tobias Whale (season 1-3)
- Damon Gupton as Bill Henderson (season 1-3)
- James Remar as Peter Gambi (season 1-3)
- Jordan Calloway as Painkiller (Khalil Payne) (season 1-3)
- Cress Williams as Black Lightning (Jefferson Pierce) (season 3-4)
- China Anne McClain as Lightning (Jennifer Pierce) (season 3-4) *
- Nafessa Williams as Thunder/Blackbird (Anissa Pierce) (season 3-4)
- Christine Adams as Lynn Stewart (season 3-4)
- Marvin "Krondon" Jones III as Tobias Whale (season 3-4)
- Damon Gupton as Bill Henderson (season 3; guest season 4) *
- Jordan Calloway as Painkiller (Khalil Payne) (season 3-4)
- James Remar as Peter Gambi (season 3-4)
- Chantal Thuy as Wylde (Grace Choi) (season 4; recurring season 3)
- China Anne McClain is credited as a series regular through 4x05 "The Book of Ruin: Chapter One: Picking Up the Pieces" and returned to the main cast in 4x13 "The Book of Resurrection: Chapter Two: Closure"
- Damon Gupton is uncredited for his voice role in Season 4 thorough archive audio.
Logos and Title Cards[edit source]
Batman: Classic TV Series • The Green Hornet • Wonder Woman • The Flash • Smallville • Birds of Prey • Constantine • Powerless • Gotham • Krypton • Swamp Thing • Arrow • Black Lightning • Lucifer • Supergirl • DC's Legends of Tomorrow • Batwoman • Naomi